Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Jump on the Short Rib Bandwagon


Last night I did something a little crazy.  I got home from the grocery store at 10 to 6 at night and decided to make short ribs for dinner.  Not advisable.  Short ribs are delicious but require a long, slow cooking time.  The more I get to know short ribs, the more I love them.  Boy #2 kept asking me when dinner would be ready and I kept saying "in about an hour."  After the second or third time he caught on.  This kind of meat is always better the next day in any case.  And who decided cereal was a BREAKFAST food anyway?

This is the kind of recipe that is sometimes hard to re-create--because I sort of combined several recipes and just threw stuff in.  All three of the recipes called for red wine but I didn't have any so I threw in half a bottle of beer--actually, I noticed the bottle was empty when I cleaned up --and I don't drink beer--so I think I actually used the whole bottle.    This is a great dish to make the day before you want to eat it.  That way you can remove any excess fat that will have solidified on the top.  These short ribs are similar to brisket in that if they are too tough or chewy you have not overcooked them, you have undercooked them.  When done, they should be fork-tender.  This is a GREAT fall/winter dinner.

5-6 lbs short ribs--I used about 13 ribs
1/3-1/2  C flour for dredging and a little kosher salt and pepper
oil--for searing--I used canola
1 large onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 heaping tsp chopped garlic
2 C red wine or 1 bottle beer
2 C chicken broth--can also use beef or vegetable stock (NOTE--I added a spoonful of a veal demi-glace, too)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
3 bay leaves
handful chopped parsley
2-3 large sprigs fresh rosemary
2 containers fresh mushrooms, washed and halved
3 carrots, in large chunks

Combine flour, salt and pepper and dredge the short ribs in the mixture.  Shake off any excess.  Heat a couple of tablespoons canola oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat.  Sear 4 or 5 short ribs at a time on all sides til brown.  Put each rib in the pot and wait a minute or two to try to turn it over.  When it is ready to be turned, it will release from the pot easily.  Sear the meat in batches and do not crowd the pan.  Transfer to bowl.  After all meat is seared, reduce heat to medium and add diced onions and celery to pot.  Season with salt and pepper.   Saute for a few minutes and then add garlic.  Cook for another minute or so, stirring to ensure garlic doesn't burn.  Add wine or beer and chicken stock.  Boil uncovered for a few minutes, scraping up any bits stuck to the pan.  Add broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, parsley, and rosemary.  Return ribs to the pot, cover partially, and simmer about 1 1/2 hours.  Uncover and simmer until rib meat is tender, stirring occasionally--about 1 1/2 hours longer, adding mushrooms and carrots about 1/2 hour or 40 minutes before ribs are done.  

Serve with pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, or crusty bread.   


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy - you either used the whole bottle of beer or boy 1 or boy 2 have a secret. Keep the recipes coming, I am always in need of dinner ideas

Anonymous said...

I will definitely try this. Sounds good and easy...
I, too, had the thought, like your friend on Sumac, that maybe, just maybe, someone snuck up and drank the remaining beer...
Thanks for the recipe.

willam said...

Microwave ovens are a newer way of cooking food more conveniently and also with complete nutritional values.