Thursday, April 16, 2009

Let's Take a Trip Back to the '80's (Minus the Shoulder Pads) or Sonya and Maureen's Appetizer Vegetable Pizza



When I was young, single, and employed--- back in the 80's, I worked for a big company in a department with several fabulous women. We all got along and socialized both in and out of work. Occasionally we organized what we called a "Food Fest" at the office--essentially, a potluck lunch where everyone on the floor brought a dish to share. My friends Sonya and Maureen once brought this yummy cold vegetable pizza which was a big hit. I brought this to many, many get-togethers during the 80's and I think it's time for an encore. After all, everything old is new again, isn't it?



VEGETABLE PIZZA

2 pkgs. Pillsbury crescent rolls
1 regular size packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
2 8-oz. pkgs cream cheese, softened (I use light cream cheese)
slightly less than 1 C mayo (I use light)
chopped broccoli (I used about 2 cups, finely chopped)
chopped cauliflower (I used about 2 cups, finely chopped)
chopped scallions (about 3-5 scallions, green part only)
chopped tomatoes (about 2, seeded and chopped)
chopped black olives (one can large olives, minus a few that fell into my mouth)
grated Cheddar cheese (about 2 to 2 1/2 C--can also use a mixture of cheeses--Cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, mozzerella)

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Lay the crescent roll dough flat on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan, pinch together any gaps, poke a few holes in dough with a fork, and bake til just golden--about 10 to 14 minutes. Let crust cool. After it cools, mix the Ranch dressing with the cream cheese and mayo. Spread mixture on the crescent rolls and top with all toppings, ending with cheese. Cut into squares and enjoy.

NOTE: You can add or substitute any toppings you like--these are just the ones I use. Or should I say--the ones Sonya and Maureen used!

No comments: