Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Banana Nut Bread





A blogger friend of mine whose job involves writing about food told me about the C & H Sugar website. I use C & H sugar all the time but had never checked out their site before. It contains all sorts of great recipes for yummy-sounding treats. I decided to try their recipe for banana bread, which uses brown sugar. I make banana bread all the time but have never seen a recipe using brown sugar. It was great--the brown sugar added a deeper flavor and I will definitely make this one again. I omitted the nuts, and, to my kids' dismay, decided not to add chocolate chips! The nice folks at C & H are sending me a $20 gift card to help out with the expenses. Thank you so much, C & H--I'll definitely be back to your lovely site!



BANANA NUT BREAD

2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup banana, mashed ripe (about 4 medium)
1 cup C & H Pure Cane Golden Brown or Dark Brown Sugar (I used Golden Brown)
1/2 cup butter, melted or vegetable oil
3/4 cup walnuts or pecan, coarsely chopped (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Make a well in center and set aside. In another large bowl, combine eggs, bananas, sugar, and melted butter or oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened; batter will be lumpy. Fold in nuts. Spoon batter into pan. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool completely on rack.

1 comment:

Gina Mandel said...

I throw my bananas in the freezer and use them for smoothies later. You won't need ice. I'm a no bake kind of a girl. Happy b-day to #2 boy.