Monday, January 19, 2009

Grandma's Toffee Bars



Every time I used to go to my grandma's house there was something yummy there. Both my grandmothers were great cooks AND bakers and one of my mom's mom's specialties was Toffee Bars. There were usually some in the freezer and, while I preferred to wait til mine thawed, my brothers liked to eat them straight from the freezer. My grandfather always claimed ownership of the little bits that crumbled off during cutting!

GRANDMA'S TOFFEE BARS

1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 C light brown sugar
1 t vanilla
1 egg yolk
2 C flour
1 small bag semisweet chocolate chips
chopped nuts (Grandma always used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream the softened butter and sugar together. Add the vanilla and the egg yolk. Then mix in the flour til completely blended. Spread on bottom of square baking pan and bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes--check after 20 minutes--cookie bottom should be set but pale. Then turn oven off and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and return pan to oven for 3-4 minutes or til chocolate is melted and spreadable. Spread over top to cover and sprinkle with the chopped nuts. Wait til cooled slightly before cutting into squares.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I make essentially the same thing (http://thecookiequeensenglish.blogspot.com/2006/12/toffee-squares.html) but always cut them while they're warm.

Martwork said...

i find they crumble less when I let them cool at least a bit before cutting. Maybe I'm wrong.

Martwork said...

Beth--I notice your recipe calls for only 1 C of flour while my grandma's has 2. Interesting. I took out the word "completely" after "cooled"--I cut these today when they were closer to cool than hot and there was no crumbling. I'm so confused now. I need a nap. :)

Anonymous said...

Um...YUM!