Monday, January 26, 2009

Marianne's Mac 'n' Cheez for Boy #2


Boy #2 has been bugging me for weeks to make the mac & cheese recipe he found in a Nickelodeon kids' (obviously) cookbook we have. I finally got around to it and it was pretty good. I still think I like Ina Garten's recipe better--but this was good. It was easy and surprisingly quick to prepare. Buying pre-shredded cheese made it even easier.

MARIANNE'S MAC 'N' CHEEZ
from Stir Squirt Sizzle, a Nick cookbook

6 T unsalted butter
1/2 C plus 2 T all-purpose flour
4 C milk ( NOTE: I used skim--not that it will help!)
1 1/2 t dry mustard
1/4 t cayenne, or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound elbow macaroni
3 C coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
1 1/3 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
1 C fresh bread crumbs (NOTE: I omitted these)


1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a long, shallow baking dish (like a 13-by-9-inch pan).
2. With an adult's help, melt the butter in a big saucepan over low heat. Add the flour slowly while whisking until it's completely combined.
3. Turn up the heat just a bit and add the milk, slowly pouring it in as you whisk. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and add the mustard, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
4. Let the mixture simmer, whisking it occasionally, until it begins to thicken. This should take about 2 minutes.
5, Meanwhile, cook the macaroni by following the instructions on the box, undercooking it the teeniest bit.
6. Combine the macaroni, the sauce, the Cheddar cheese, and 1 C of the Parmesan in a big bowl. Mix it all up and pour it into the baking dish.
7. In a smaller bowl, mix the remaining 1/3 C Parmesan with the bread crumbs and sprinkle it on top of the macaroni and cheese. (NOTE: I just sprinkled the remaining Parmesan cheese over the top)
8. Have an adult place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it is so golden and bubbly that you can't bear to wait another minute.

Serves 4 to 6.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Just yesterday, I was thinking, "Ooooh, I want mac 'n' cheese!"

But I'm trying to behave, so I'm sure I won't make it, but this picture made me sigh with happiness. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

We love this recipe. It's the only mac n cheese my kids will eat that doesn't come in a box with orange powder. Thanks so much for posting it!