Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Roasted Cauliflower or "I Can't Believe I Ate an Entire Head of Cauliflower All By Myself!"



For all you people who are still steaming or boiling vegetables--read this. Friend don't let friends steam or boil. I don't know what it is about roasting that transforms vegetables into something amazing--but it does. The ingredients are simple and the process is easy--I roast practically any vegetable--asparagus, green beans, brussels sprouts, onions, potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, carrots, beets, and more. I have a hard time picking my favorite--it changes from time to time--but right now it is cauliflower. Boy #2 eats roasted cauliflower like it is candy. OK, maybe not like candy...but he just loves it! Now I usually roast two heads at a time and we RARELY have any left over.

One of the keys to roasting is a hot oven--I usually roast at about 400°F to 425°F. Preheat your oven for at least 15 minutes before you put the baking sheet in. You can also preheat the oven WITH the baking sheet IN the oven and then pour the vegetables on the baking sheet--you will hear a nice sizzle that way. For the cauliflower, I cut the head up into small pieces because I want as much of the surface to brown as possible. Put the pieces in a large bowl or ziplock bag and add olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper and toss. Don't go crazy on the oil but don't be stingy either--about 1/8 of a cup per head should be fine--I don't really measure--you can always add more if you think you haven't used enough. Kosher salt is less salty than regular salt--so don't be worried that it's going to be too salty--probably about 1/2 to 3/4 of a teaspoon per head is good. Again--I don't measure--I just sprinkle. Fresh pepper to taste. That's it. Spread out on a baking sheet--I line mine with parchment paper for easier clean-up. You want the cauliflower to roast, not steam, so don't overcrowd the baking sheet. Cook about 20 to 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Basically--with any roasted vegetables--you cook them til they are done the way you like them--I like my cauliflower brown and a bit crunchy so I probably cook them for at least 30 minutes--sometimes more. It's a matter of personal taste. Try it tonight--let me know how it turns out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious - just had roasted cauliflower au gratin last night - so yummy. In a gratin dish after roasting add gruyere cheese and cream (like potato au gratin).

Anonymous said...

That's so funny that you sent that today. I was planning on making oven
roasted green beans for dinner tonight!

One thing I've made that's great is a mixture of parsnips, purple onion,
sweet potato, and carrots. The sweet and savory flavors are really good
together.

Beth said...

I could live on roasted asparagus. When it's in season, I practically do. A la Ina Garten, once it's done, I pull it out of the oven, kill the heat, sprinkle a good handful of grated Parmesan over the asparagus and toss the sheet back in the oven for a minute or so. The residual heat melts the cheese. Oh, baby!